Krzyż Monte Cassino – Monte Cassino cross
Established on 20.11.1944 by the Commander in Chief of the Polish Armed Forces in the West as a commemorative cross for soldiers of the 2nd Polish Corps, who participated in the Battle of Monte Cassino.
There were 50,000 pieces produced in Tel-Aviv (now Israel, then British Palestine). A total of 48,498 crosses (serial numbers 1 to 48,498) were awarded with accompanying award documents (each with a matching number). Here the cross No. 49779 – original, but from the unawarded stock.
Bronze with dark patina, very nice preserved, on the old original ribbon.